Once you have made the decision to have a modern or contemporary staircase built for your home or business, the development process begins. Of course, the custom metal staircase design process begins with a discussion about the style of your space.
Step 1: Inspiration
When you begin the custom staircase development process, you probably have some ideas in mind about what you want your metal stairs to look like.
Put together photos and notes of what you envision your modern or contemporary metal staircase to look like and we will help you make it a reality!
Some questions to ask yourself include:
- What is the style of your home or business?
- Are there any examples that you love?
- What style staircase are you most interested in?
Step 2: Dimensions
The dimensions of your space will be an important factor in the type of modern or contemporary staircase that can be built. Depending on the space available, your staircase options may change.
- Smaller spaces are great for spiral stairs and ship ladders.
- Larger spaces can accommodate straight staircases and curved staircases, as well as more complex custom designs.
Step 3: Accommodations & Functionality
Before we can build your modern or contemporary staircase, there is a bit more information that will need to be gathered related to the accommodations and functionality of your staircase.
Questions we will ask include:
- Will your staircase be located indoors or outdoors?
- Will your staircase be located in a home or a business?
- Will children or elderly individuals be using the stairs regularly?
- What type of staircase are you interested in building?
- Main stair (primary egress)
- Bonus stair (secondary egress)
- Convenience stair for decorative purposes or access to a non-living space
- Is the staircase part of a new construction or a renovation?
- If your staircase is part of a renovation, will it be replacing an existing staircase?
- If it is replacing an existing staircase, will it have the same layout and dimensions, or be something completely new?
Step 4: Code Requirements
When building a custom staircase, there are also code requirements to take into consideration. These requirements differ by city and by state.
Acadia Stairs is happy to work with you and your contractor to make sure your new metal staircase meets all the necessary requirements. Before we fabricate your staircase we will submit a shop drawing tailored to your order that you can share with your city’s building department to review codes.
Step 5: Development Process
Once we have all the basic information related to the modern or contemporary metal staircase you would like to design, and you or your contractor has confirmed that the staircase design meets your city’s code requirements, it is time to begin the development process.
This begins with an outline or blueprint of your staircase design. We will need to know the following information to develop your blueprint:
- Finished floor to finished floor height
- Stair width
- General configuration (straight, L-shape, switch back, etc.)
- Your shipping information
- If you will need stairwell or balcony railings
- Chosen stringer style, treads, railing
- Finish and color of the staircase
Step 6: Installation
Once your blueprint has been approved and your metal staircase has been built, it will be shipped to your home or business for installation.
Acadia Stairs ships stairs across the US. We do not provide installation, but many of our stairs can be put in by a handy homeowner as a do-it-yourself project. Most carpenters and contractors can install our stairs as well.
If you are currently working with a contractor, we would be happy to go over all the details with you and your team before we ship out your finished project.