With how crazy our everyday lives can be, it’s hard to put time aside to hit the gym and exercise. Well what many don’t know is that there is a great piece of workout equipment right in our own home and you’ve been walking on it for years. What we’re talking about is your stairs.
Now at first you may think that it’s ridiculous that someone would use them for exercising, but there are many easy workouts one can do on them, some which may even cause you to break a legitimate sweat when doing them. So if you’re looking to shed some unwanted weight before summer arrives, you may want to give some of these workouts a try:
Simple Stair Exercises
- While it may seem like a no-brainer, simply walking up and down the stairs is a great exercise for your legs. By climbing them at a moderate pace for a decent amount of time you can give your legs and lower back a small workout. It’s very easy but can also be very beneficial to you.
- If you want to take it a step further, you can increase your pace at which you go up the stairs. Running up them will cause you to break a sweat faster as well as work your muscles harder which may end up giving you an overall better result from your workout. Not only that but running up stairs is better on your joints than simply running outside.
- Another interesting way to climb the steps is to go backwards. Start from the bottom and place one foot behind you on the step, then bring up the other foot and do this until u reach the top. It’s not only good exercise it will also cause you to focus on your balance as well, which may also improve from this workout.
- Step ups are another good one. Not much to this workout as it is exactly what it sounds like. You take one step up on to the stair then bring the other foot up. Then take the foot used on the first step and put it back down on the ground followed by the other foot.
- If you want to take your step ups to the next level, try some high knees. Place one foot on to the step, then pull your other leg up bringing your knee a little past your waist, then put that leg back down and bring your starting foot back off the step. Then do the same with your other leg.
- Another simple workout would be calf raises. Place the insteps of both feet on the edge of the step and have the heel of your feet hanging over it. Then when you have your balance, bring your heels up past the step making your legs totally straight then go back to the starting position. About 20 reps and about 4 or 5 sets of this and your calves will be burning.
- When it comes to leg workouts however, there aren’t many better than lunges. Simply bring your one leg up to the second step then lean forward making sure your knee doesn’t go past your toes. If it does you risk injuring yourself which is not what you want to do when working out.
- One more great stair workout for your legs is simply jumping. Keep your feet about shoulder width apart and lean in to a crouching position, then jump and land both feet on the first step. Then going back to the crouching position, jump back down off the step and back on to the floor.
- If you don’t want to do just leg workouts on the steps, you could try something like a dip. Place the palms of your hands on the edge of the stair and slowly lower yourself towards the ground but don’t let your backside touch it. When you get close to the ground push yourself back up. This will help work your triceps and tighten your arms.
- Another good upper body exercise would be incline pushups. Facing the steps, place your hands on the steps letting your palms wrap around the lip of the step. Then just like a normal push up, push your body until your arms are almost fully extended and then lower yourself back down. Just be careful not to lose your grip and you could easily hit your head on the step.
Acadia Stairs manufactures quality stairs for your home or for your office. Each of our staircase designs and stairs are created to best suit your needs. For more information on our services or if you would like a consultation, please feel free to contact us today!