When you decide on a new staircase for your home, there are several options to choose from. Spiral staircases have a rich history, dating back thousands of years. Their unique aesthetic and designs are eye-catching and stylish, but they might have some drawbacks depending on your living situation.
Here are some pros and cons of having a spiral staircase that may help you decide if it is the right option for you and your individual needs.
- Space Saver: Spiral staircases will save you space. If you have a smaller home, a spiral staircase would be a great option, as it would sit nicely out of the way giving you more room.
- Durability: They are more durable than traditional staircases. Spiral staircases can bear weight much better than most traditional stairs. They will often last a lifetime, whereas traditional stairs often warp or get damaged after a decade or so.
- Versatility: Spiral staircases are versatile. They can be built outside and exposed to the elements without damage. There are many exterior spiral staircase options out there that can add a beautiful flair to your home.
- Visual Interest: These unique staircases add visual interest to a home. The human eye is naturally more drawn to curves. The aesthetic appeal of spirals makes these staircases more beautiful to look at, adding a lot of attention to your home.
- Steepness: There is an added steepness to spiral staircases that may not be suitable for the elderly or people who have difficulty walking. If someone were to fall, they likely will not fall as far as you would on traditional stairs. The curve of a spiral staircase often prevents someone who has slipped from having a harsh slide down to the bottom.
- Narrow: Spiral stairs revolve around a central pole and can take some getting used to. The steps are typically very narrow near the pole, and there is only a handrail on one side. It would be best to practice walking up and down your new curved stairs. Make sure to look at where you are placing your feet, firmly grip the handrail, go slowly, and do not try to carry up anything heavy the first few times you use it.
Overall, spiral staircases are a great option if you are looking to add more space or spice up the design of your home. There are many ways you can incorporate a spiral staircase into your aesthetic. For project ideas or to learn the process of getting one of these staircases in your home, call Acadia Stairs at (845)765-8600.